A unilateral ceasefire was announced as displaced Syrian’s protested at the border of Turkey, calling leaders to stop the Syrian government’s Idlib offensive.
A unilateral ceasefire in northwestern Syria was announced by Russia, where Moscow-backed government forces have been waging fierce offensive force to capture the last major stronghold of the rebels, from Saturday morning.
On Friday the Russian administration announced the ceasefire as Syrian Civilians who are displaced from their lands tried to trespass the border crossing to enter the neighboring country, Turkey, amid the extremely deteriorated situation of the Idlib province It has been warned by the United Nations that further military push risks further fallout for the three million residents of Idlib, half of them are already displaced internally from areas previously captured by forces controlled by President Bashar al-Assad.more than 500 civilians have been killed in the province with more than half a million civilians uprooted since the offensive began in late April, according to the United Nations.
Russia, which intervened in Syria’s long-running conflict four years ago to back al-Assad, said on Friday that an agreement had been reached on “a unilateral ceasefire by Syrian government forces in the Idlib de-escalation zone, from 6 am on August 31”.
The statement said that the ceasefire is aimed “to stabilize the situation” in Idlib, urging anti-government fighters to “abandon armed provocations and join the peace process”, the Russian Reconciliation Centre for Syria said in a statement.